Welcome to Eighth Grade Language ArtsMs. Delia Hollerieth(908) 735-5511 X6261
Goals For the Year:
- To strive for individual excellence and work to one’s potential.
- To develop a positive attitude towards reading.
- To identify and begin to develop one’s individual voice in writing.
- To improve one’s written expression in terms of vocabulary, spelling, sentence construction, clarity of ideas, elaboration of ideas, creativity and format.
- To become familiar and comfortable with the various components of the New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJ SLA) test.
Vocabulary Workshop- Level C New Edition, Literature and the Language Arts- EMC Masterpiece Series, Impact: 50 Short Stories, READ Magazine, Elements of Style- Second Course, PARCC materials.
Literature/units include: The Pearl, A Christmas Carol, To Kill a Mockingbird, Forge, Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story, various works of poetry, short stories, biographies, autobiographies, speeches, plays, and informational text/articles.
*When absent from class, the student is responsible for acquiring the missed material.
*Inexcusable late MAJOR assignments (projects, essays) will lose 10 points a day.
*Late homework will only be accepted the following day if it was not reviewed in class and for maximum of half credit.
Notebook/binder, paper, folders, writing utensils, current text or novel.
I am looking forward to a great year, and I hope you are too! This is the last step before high school, so we will be working hard. You will be submersed in many different wonderful genres, authors, resources and techniques of communication. If at any time you need extra help with anything we are studying in class, please speak to me about it and I will be happy to help you before school or during a recess period.